Understanding Pathophysiology 7th Edition
The updates for the seventh edition of Understanding Pathophysiology, include a simplification of the content to make it less complex and easier for student comprehension. The primary focus of the text is the pathophysiology associated with the most common diseases. Some of the molecular and cellular content has been rewritten into more general explanations of disease processes. The text has also been written to assist students with the translation of the concepts and processes of pathophysiology into clinical practice and to promote lifelong learning. For preparatory knowledge, students need to have a good understanding of human organ system anatomy and physiology. Because of the rapidly evolving discovery of disease mechanisms and treatment at the molecular and cellular level, students also need to have a working understanding of cell structure and function. We continue to include discussions of the following interconnected topics to highlight their importance for clinical practice:
• Pathophysiologic alterations of organ and cell function related to mechanisms of disease
• A life-span approach that includes special sections on aging and separate chapters on children
• Epidemiology and incidence rates showing regional and worldwide differences that reflect the importance of environmental and lifestyle factors on disease initiation and progression
• Sex differences that affect epidemiology and pathophysiology
• Clinical manifestations, summaries of treatment, and health promotion/risk reduction strategies
Organization and Content for the Seventh Edition
The book is organized into two parts: Part One, Basic Concepts of Pathophysiology, and Part Two, Body Systems and Diseases. All content has been updated and includes the most common content related to mechanisms of disease.
Part One: Basic Concepts of Pathophysiology
Part One introduces basic principles and processes that are important for a contemporary understanding of the pathophysiology of common diseases. The concepts include descriptions of cell structure, cellular transport and communication; forms of cell injury; genes and genetic disease; epigenetics; fluid and electrolytes and acid and base balance; immunity, inflammation and wound healing; mechanisms of infection; stress, coping, and illness; tumor biology and cancer epidemiology. We separated the content on infection into a new chapter, Chapter 9.
Part Two: Body Systems and Diseases
Part Two presents the pathophysiology of the most common alterations according to body system. To promote readability and comprehension, we have used a logical sequence and uniform approach in presenting the content of the units and chapters. Each unit focuses on a specific organ system and contains chapters related to anatomy and physiology, the pathophysiology of the most common diseases, and common alterations in children. The anatomy and physiology content is presented as a review to enhance the learner’s understanding of the structural and functional changes inherent in pathophysiology. A brief summary of normal aging effects is included at the end of these review chapters. The general organization of each disease/disorder discussion includes an introductory paragraph on relevant risk factors and epidemiology, a significant focus on pathophysiology and clinical manifestations, and then a brief review of evaluation and treatment. A new chapter was added with content related to obesity, starvation, and anorexia of aging, Chapter 21.
Features to Promote Learning
A number of features are incorporated into this text that guide and support learning and understanding, including:
• Chapter Outlines including page numbers for easy reference
• Quick Check questions strategically placed throughout each chapter to help readers confirm their understanding of the material; answers are included on the textbook’s Evolve website
• Risk Factors boxes for selected diseases
• Did You Know boxes
• End-of-chapter Summary Reviews that condense the major concepts of each chapter into an easy-to-review list format; printable versions of these are available on the textbook’s Evolve website
• Key Terms set in blue boldface in text and listed, with page numbers, at the end of each chapter
• Special boxes for Aging and Pediatrics content that highlight discussions of life-span alterations
All of the figures and photographs have been carefully reviewed, revised, or updated. This edition features approximately 100 new or heavily revised illustrations and photographs with a total of approximately 1000 images. The figures and algorithms are designed to help students visually understand sometimes difficult and complex material. High-quality photographs show actual pathologic features of disease. Micrographs show normal and abnormal cellular structure. The combination of illustrations, algorithms, photographs, and use of color for tables and boxes allows a more complete understanding of essential information.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|January 29, 2022|