School Law and the Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Educational Leaders
How do educational leaders respond to the legal challenges facing their organizations in a highly litigious society? How do they ensure that their organizations are achieving their mission without unduly restricting the constitutional rights and personal freedoms of their students and staff?
How do leaders know when they are operating within the law? How can they build and foster an organizational culture that places high value on the personal rights and uniqueness of each individual? These are issues this book addresses. The courts expect educational leaders to possess the necessary knowledge and skill that will enable them to meet legal challenges that impact their organizations.
School Law and the Public Schools: A Practical Guide for Educational Leaders, Sixth Edition, is based on the premise that educational leaders and policy makers must be knowledgeable of the law that governs the operation and conduct of their organizations as they face a highly litigious society. Increasingly, educational leaders need to exercise discretion in making sound and legally defensible decisions that affect students and school personnel under their authority. They need to guide the development and execution of sound and well-developed policies, rules, and regulations governing many aspects of their operation. Educational leaders must ensure that they possess the legal knowledge necessary to accomplish these important administrative tasks successfully.
New to this editioN
The basic intent of this sixth edition is to better equip educational leaders and policy makers with relevant and timely information that will assist them in meeting legal challenges while minimizing legal exposure as they execute their defined duties and responsibilities in a highly litigious environment. The goal of the sixth edition is to provide comprehensive and practical information regarding relevant and emerging contemporary issues that impact the organization and administration of public schools. An additional goal is to better prepare educators at all levels to perform their professional duties within the boundaries of the U.S. Constitution, statutory law, case law, and school district policies. Information included in this edition will focus on practices that are legally defensible as well as those that are not. Knowledge of existing and emerging legal issues will enable educational leaders to exercise discretion in addressing the myriad legal issues they face on a daily basis. Increasingly, school leaders are expected to operate within the context of well-defined policies, rules, and regulations governing all aspect of their organizations. This edition will ensure that they possess the legal knowledge necessary to accomplish their essential administrative tasks successfully. The sixth edition includes the following additions and revisions:
• New addition to chapter on legal framework to include searching case law and the trial process
• Guidance in identifying and researching cases and a visual depiction of how the trial process works
• Revised chapter on religion includes a discussion of prayer at legislative meetings, religious banners at football games, and legislation on acknowledging Christmas in schools
• Includes an in-depth discussion of all issues relating to the Exercise Clause of the First Amendment
• Search and Social Media
• Provides guidance regarding the extent to which school personnel may or may not search cell phones of students in public schools
• Use of electronic devices by students and teachers
• Provides guidance regarding academic advantages of electronic devices in the classroom for instructional purposes
|August 27, 2022
How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?