Human Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual, Main Version 12th Edition
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|January 12, 2022|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)
The philosophy behind the revision of this manual n1irrors that of all earlier editions. It reflects a still developing sensibility for the way teachers teach and students learn, inforn1ed by years of teaching the subject and by collecting suggestions from other instructors as well as from students enrolled in multifaceted healthcare programs. Hurnan Anatorny & Physiology Laboratory 1’vfanual was originally developed to facilitate and enrich the laboratory experience for both teachers and students. This edition retains those san1e goals.
This manual, intended for students in introductory human anatomy and physiology courses, presents a wide range of laboratory experiences for students concentrating in nursing, physical therapy, pharmacology, respiratory therapy, and exercise science, as well as biology and pren1edical programs. TI1e manual’s coverage is intentionally broad, allowing it to serve both one-and two-sen1ester courses, and it is available in versions that contain detailed guidelines for dissecting a cat or fetal pig laboratory specimen.
Basic Approach and Features
The generous variety of experiments in this manual provides flexibility that enables instructors to gear their laboratory approach to specific acaden1ic programs or to their own teaching preferences. The manual remains independent of any textbook, so it contains the background discussions and terminology necessary to perforn1 all experiments. Such a selfcontained learning aid eliminates the need for students to bring a textbook into the laboratory.
Each of the 46 exercises leads students toward a coherent understanding of the structure and function of the human body. The manual begins with anatomical tern1inology and an orientation to the body, which together provide the necessary tools for studying the various body systems. The exercises that follow reflect the dual focus of the manual-both anatomical and physiological aspects receive considerable attention. As the various organ systems of the body are introduced, the initial exercises focus on organization, from the cellular to the organ system level. As indicated by the table of contents, the anaton1ical exercises are usually followed by physiological experiments that fan1iliarize students with various aspects of body functioning and promote the critical understanding that fun ction follows structure. The numerous physiological experin1ents for each organ system range from simple experin1ents that can be performed without specialized tools to more complex experiments using laboratory equipment, computers, and instrumentation techniques.
A. The dissection scissors icon appears at the beginning of
V activities that entail the dissection of isolated animal organs, such as the sheep heart and pig kidney, are employed to st udy anatomy because of their exceptional similarity to human organs.
Homeostasis is continually emphasized as a requirement for optimal health. Pathological conditions are viewed as a loss of homeostasis; these discussions can be recognized by the homeostatic imbalance logo within the descriptive material of each exercise. This holistic approach encourages an integrated understanding of the human body. The homeostatic imbalance icon directs the student’s attention to conditions representing a loss of homeostasis.
A safety icon notifies students that specific safety pre— cautions must be observed when using certain equipment or conducting particular lab procedures. For example, when working with ether, students are to use a hood; and when handling body fluids such as blood, urine, or saliva,students are to wear gloves. All exercises involving body fluids (blood, urine, saliva) incorporate current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines for handling human body fluids. Because it is important that nursing students in particular learn how to safely handle bloodstained articles, the manual has retained the option to use human blood in the laboratory. However, the decision to allow testing of human (student) blood or to use animal blood in the laboratory is left to the discretion of the instructor in accordance with institutional guidelines. The CDC guidelines for handling body fluids are reinforced by the laboratory safety procedures described on the inside front cover of this text, in Exercise 29: Blood, and in the Instructor’s Guide. You can photocopy the inside front cover and post it in the lab to help students become well versed in laboratory safety.
A Group Challenge activities are designed to enhance colW laborative group learning and to challenge students to
think critically, identify relationships between anatomical structures and physiological functions, and achieve a deeper BIO PAC” The BIOPAC’ icon in a relevant exercise n1aterials list si als the use of the BIO PAC” Student Lab System and alerts you to the equipment needed. BIOPAC” is used in Exercises 14, 18, 20, 21, 31, 33, 34, and 37. TI1e instructions in the lab manual are for use ,vith the BIO PAC” MP36/35 and MP45 data acquisition unit. Note that some exercises are not compatible with the MP45 data acquisition unit. For those exercises, the MP45 will not be listed in the Materials section. In this edition, the lab manual inst ructions are for use with BSL software 4.0.1 and above for Windows 10/8.x/7 or Mac OS Xl0.9-10.12. Refer to the Materials section in each exercise for the applicable software version. The Instructor Resources area of Mastering A&P provides the following additional support for alternative data acquisitions systems, including exercises that can be distributed to students:
• BIO PAC” Instructions for the MP36 (or MP35/30) data acquisition unit using BSL software versions earlier than 4.0.1 (for Windows and Mac) for Exercises 14, 18, 20, 21, 31, and 34
• Power/ab• Instructions for Exercises 14, 21, 31, 33, 34, and 37
• iWorx4′ Instructions for Exercises 14, 18, 21, 31, 33, 34, and 37
• Intelitool”‘ Instructions for Exercises 14i, 21 i, 31i, and 37i
• Exercise Review Sheets follow each laboratory exercise and provide space for recording and interpreting experimental results and require students to label diagra1ns and answer matching and short-answer questions. Selected questions can be assigned and automatically graded in Mastering A&P.
• PhysioExTM 9.1 Exercises, located in the back of the lab manual and accessible through a subscription to Mastering A&P, are easy-to-use computer simulations that supplement or take the place of traditional wet labs safely and cost-effectively.
These 12 exercises contain a total of 63 physiology laboratory activities that allow learners to change variables and test out various hypotheses for the experiments. PhysioExTM allows students to repeat labs as often as they like, perform experiments without harming live animals, and conduct experiments that are difficult to perform because of tin1e, cost, or safety concerns.
Updated Content in This Edition of the Lab Manual
Throughout the manual, the narrative text has been streamlined and updated to make the language more understandable and to better meet the needs of today’s students. Additional highlights include the following:
• Dozens of new fult-c.olor figures and photos replace blackand-white line drawings in the Exercise Review Sheets. Selected labeling questions in the manual can be assigned in Mastering A&P.
• New Clinical Application questions have been added to the Exercise Review Sheets and challenge students to apply lab concepts and critical-thinking skills to real-world clinical scenarios.
• Updated BIOPAC”‘ proc.edures are included in the manual for eight lab exercises for the BIO PAC” 4.0 software upgrade. Procedures for Intelitool”‘, Power Lab”‘, and iWorx”‘ remain available in the Instructor Resources area
o f Mastering A&P.
• New Mastering A&P visual previews appear on the first page of each Jab exercise, highlighting a recommended pre-lab video, a related in1age from Practice Anatomy Lab 3.1 (PAL 3.1 ), or a helpful animation.
• New Mastering A&P assignment recommendations are signaled at appropriate points throughout the manual to help instructors assign related auto-graded activities and assessments.
• E1ensive updates and improvements have been made to each of the 46 laboratory exercises in the manual to increase clarity and reduce ambiguity for students. Art within the exercises, the narrative, as well as the questions and figures within the Review Sheets have been updated. For a complete list of content updates, please refer to the lnstructor’.r Guide for Hurnan Anatoniy & Physiology Laboratory 1\1an11al 13/e (ISBN 9780134778839
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|January 12, 2022|