Campbell Biology by Steven Jane B. Reece
We are honoured to present the Second Canadian Edition of Campbell BIOLOGY. For the last three decades, Campbell BIOLOGY has been the leading university text in the biological sciences. It has been translated into more than a dozen languages and has provided millions of students with a solid foundation in university-level biology. This success is a testament not only to Neil Campbell’s original vision but also to the dedication of thousands of reviewers, who, together with editors, artists, and contributors, have shaped and inspired this work.
Our goals for the Second Canadian Edition include:
• increasing visual literacy through figures, tutorials, and problems that guide students to a deeper understanding of the ways in which figures represent biological structure and function.
• giving students a strong foundation in scientific thinking and quantitative reasoning skills
• inspiring students with the excitement and relevance of modern biology, particularly in the realm of genomics
Our starting point, as always, is our commitment to crafting text and visuals that are accurate, current, and reflect our passion for teaching and learning about biology.
New to This Edition
Here we provide an overview of the new features that we have developed for the Second Canadian Edition; we invite you to explore pages for more information and examples.
• Scientific Skills Exercises in every chapter use real data to help students learn and practise data interpretation, graphing, experimental design, and math skills. Scientific Skills Exercises have assignable, automatically graded versions in MasteringBiology.
• Interpret the Data Questions throughout the text engage students in scientific inquiry by asking them to interpret data presented in a graph, figure, or table. The Interpret the DatQuestions can be assigned and automatically graded in MasteringBiology.
• The impact of genomics across biology is explored throughout the Second Canadian Edition with examples that reveal how our ability to rapidly sequence DNA and proteins on a massive scale is transforming all areas of biology, from molecular and cell biology to phylogenetics, physiology, and ecology.
• Synthesize Your Knowledge Questions at the end of each chapter ask students to synthesize the material in the chapter and demonstrate their big-picture understanding. A striking, thought-provoking photograph leads to a question that helps students realize that what they have learned in the chapter connects to their world and provides understanding and insight into natural phenomena.
• The impact of climate change is explored throughout the text, starting with an introduction in Chapter 1, and concluding with the Exploring Climate Change Figure 56.27.
• The Second Canadian Edition provides a range of new practice and Assessment Opportunities in MasteringBiology®. Besides the Scientific Skills Exercises and Interpret the Data Questions, Solve It Tutorials in MasteringBiology engage students in a multistep investigation of a “mystery” or open question. Acting as scientists, students must analyze real data and work through a simulated investigation. In addition, students can use the Dynamic Study Modules to study anytime and anywhere with their smartphone, tablet, or computer.
• Learning Catalytics™ allows students to use their smartphone, tablet, or laptop to respond to questions in class.
• As in each new edition of Campbell BIOLOGY, the Second Canadian Edition incorporates new content and organizational improvements. These are summarized on pp. xxv–xxvii, following this Preface. Additional content updates reflect rapid, ongoing changes in technology and knowledge in the fields of genomics, gene editing technology (CRISPR), and more
Our Hallmark Features
Teachers of general biology face a daunting challenge: to help students acquire a conceptual framework for organizing an ever-expanding amount of information. The hallmark features of Campbell BIOLOGY provide such a framework while promoting a deeper understanding of biology and the process of science. Chief among the themes of Campbell BIOLOGY is evolution. Chapters throughout the text include at least one Evolution section that explicitly focuses on evolutionary aspects of the chapter material, and chapters end with an Evolution Connection Question and a Write about a Theme Question.
To help students distinguish the “forest from the trees,” each chapter is organized around a framework of three to seven carefully chosen Key Concepts. The text, Concept Check Questions, Summary of Key Concepts, and MasteringBiology all reinforce these main ideas and essential facts.
Because text and illustrations are equally important for learning biology, integration of text and figures has been a hallmark of this text since the first edition. The Exploring Figures and Make Connections Figures epitomize this approach. Each Exploring Figure is a learning unit of core content that brings together related illustrations and text, whereas Make Connections Figures use art and text to illustrate how key ideas link together what might appear to be discrete and disparate topics in introductory biology. To encourage active reading of the text, Campbell BIOLOGY includes numerous opportunities for students to stop and think about what they are reading, often by putting pencil to paper to draw a sketch, annotate a figure, or graph data. Active reading questions include Make Connections Questions, What If? Questions, Figure Legend Questions, Draw It Questions, Summary Questions, and the new Synthesize Your Knowledge and Interpret the Data Questions. The answers to most of these questions require students to write as well as think and thus help develop the core competency of communicating science.
Finally, Campbell BIOLOGY has always featured scientific inquiry, an essential component of any biology course. Complementing stories of scientific discovery in the text narrative, the unit-opening interviews, and our standardsetting Inquiry Figures all deepen the ability of students to understand how we know what we know. Scientific Inquiry Questions give students opportunities to practise scientific thinking, along with the new Scientific Skills Exercises and Interpret the Data Questions. Together, these activities provide students practice both in applying the process of science and in using quantitative reasoning
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|August 12, 2021|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)